- 8463 When you lose an article, spit into the palm of one hand and then strike the spittle with the index finger of your other hand. The direction of the splash will indicate the location of the hidden article.
- 8464 “I used to move so much when I was young. My brother said he never had any trouble finding me, because when he got to the house, if I didn’t live there, he would spit in his hand, strike the spit with his other hand, and watch the direction it went. Then he would start right out and find me.”
- 8465 If anything is lost, pray to St. Anthony and you will find it.
- 8466 Pray to the saint for whom you were named to find a lost article.
- 8467 “This German woman back of us told me, if she mislaid anything and could not find it, she asked the Lord to help her; and He would put it right down in front of her. This same German woman lost a monkey wrench. She said, ‘God, you know where that monkey wrench is, help me to find it.’ The next day two little girls were playing out in the road and found a wrench. They brought it to the house and it was her wrench.”
- 8468 When you lose a marble, throw away another marble, watching where it goes; and you can immediately walk to the first marble and pick it up.
- 8469 Put a marble in a box and then throw the box away without looking. Search for the box later and you will find a boxful of marbles. A boy said, “The trouble is, you don’t know where you threw it, and you never find the marbles you were to get.”
- 8470 “I have tried this a lot of times. When I can’t find just where the money is, I drop another piece and it will roll right over to the other piece. Sometimes the money will stop on a crack in the floor. Then I know the money went down a crack.”
- 8471 To find a lost ring, carry a peach switch held tightly in your hands, and it will turn down when you walk over the hidden ring.
- 8472 Is someone steals something from you, burn bread, and the thief will be compelled to restore the article; if not to you, then he must give it to another person, for he cannot keep it.
- 8473 “If you miss anything about the house and you have suspicion of a woman that seems strange, take a glass of vinegar and place on the table and that party that took the thing will drink this vinegar. It will make them sick, and you will find out who took it.”
- 8474 “Someone took a gold ring fro me and I took twelve save leaves and wrote the name of each Apostle on them and put the twelve leaves in my shoes, and in several days the person that took my ring brought it back.”
- 8475 “If someone steals from you, the next morning go and burn a piece of bread real black and throw it away and whoever took anything from you can’t keep it. It will come back.”
- 8476 “To know the thief who robbed you: Take sunflower seeds which you must gather in the sign of the Lion in the month of August. Wrap them up over a wolf’s tooth, then take a bay leaf and wrap the tooth, then take the tooth and put it above your head, and you will see the leaf.”
- 8477 “Take three pinches of bread, three pinches of salt, and three small portions of lard. Make three packages (like a prescription of powder) using one of each. Make a strong fire; lay all these packages on the fire and say:
I lay for the thief, bread, salt and lard,
Upon the flame, for thy sin is hard.
I lay it upon thy lung, liver and heart,
That thou may feel a bitter smart.
It shall come upon thee need and dread,
As it approaches a dire death.
All veins shall in thy body burst,
And cause thee pain and quenchless thirst,
That thou shalt have no peace or rest,
Till all the theft thou has returned,
And place it where thou has taken the plunder,
Or be caught by lightning and thunder’.”